-
December 9th, 2002, 05:11 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Hello,
My 15 year old son has been asking for film making equipment for xmas. I know nothing and if someone could give me some kind of started list. A list I can take somewhere and
buy this stuff. I want to go as cheap as possible. I know this is a VERY open question but any help would be deeply appreciated. Play like your giving your mother a christmas list.
-
December 14th, 2002, 06:26 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Hi. I'm a complete neophyte myself to the world of film making, so take my ideas accordingly. But since no one else has tackled your question, I'll give it a shot.
To get started with the most basic setup, you'll need to obtain a camera, a projector, and some film for your young film maker. That's the basic minimum requirement.
Stick with Super 8mm. The film is still being produced and is readily available. Regular 8mm is harder to find, and more expensive to purchase and to have processed, so even though regular 8mm cameras are often cheaper than Super 8mm, you'd do best to avoid them.
The best place to find cameras is Ebay. Other than some rediculously expensive Beaulieu cameras, there are no new Super 8mm cameras still being manufactured. At least, none that I know of. Nevertheless, Super 8 filmmaking is said to be experiencing a resurgence of interest, and even many of the well-used cameras on Ebay can sometimes go for surprisingly high prices. You might check camera stores that sell used equipment in your area, but you'll be lucky if you find any that have Super 8 equipment of any kind.
Here is a camera on Ebay that I think would make an excellent starter.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1943661929
and another
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1944819646
and another
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1944618756
The Bruan Nizo's and high end Canon's (814E, 1014E) are really good cameras if in good condition, but they aren't cheap. In good condition, they go for $200 to $600 or so. Avoid cameras that the seller says have not been tested. You want one that the seller at least claims is fully functional.
In terms of projectors, I'm pretty ignorant. I'm still researching this myself. You may end up paying more for a good projector than for a decent camera. You may also end up having to clean it up and maybe replace lamps and belts to make it work well. Or you might get lucky and find a good working projector that isn't too expensive. Get one that plays sound film. Even though sound film is no longer being produced, I think there are ways to add a sound track to silent film, and you can play old sound film as well.
Something like this might go fairly cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1944381134
These look nice, but they won't be inexpensive
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1944353563
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1944764766
and here is another one that is probably a good deal and will likely not be too expensive
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1944022717
Some camera stores still maintain fresh stocks of Super 8mm film cartridges. Maybe buy a few rolls locally to get started, but it'll probably be cheaper in the long run to mail order it from Kodak directly. You'll want Kodachrome K40 for color, and either Plus-X Pan (slow speed) or Tri-X Pan (medium speed) for B&W. I like K40 and Plus-X. Tri-X is too grainy for my taste.
For the Kodachrome, call Kodak at 1-800-621-FILM and ask for catalog number 505 3335. It inclues the PK-59 prepaid processing mailer. The cost is $13.54 per roll, and you won't find the film plus mailer cheaper than that. The Plus-X and Tri-X is about $10 per roll if you order directly from Kodak. My local camera store charges $14 per roll. A roll of Super 8mm film runs about 3 minutes and 20 or 30 seconds at 18 frames per second, or 2.5 minutes at 24 FPS.
I've heard that Walmart will handle Super 8mm film, but I've also heard some people lament the lack of consistency in the processing, or the occasional lost roll. The best option for K40 is the Kodak PK59 mailer. There are also a variety of mail order labs for B&W. Some camera stores will handle the B&W processing or send it off for you.
Eventually, your son will want a film editor, film cleaning and lubricating supplies, a film splicer, 400 foot reels and cans to splice together the 50 foot rolls into longer running lengths, movie lights, etc. If he gets into it, he'll do the research himself and let you know what he needs.
So, camera, film, and projector are the basics. I should think you could manage to get him started for $150 to $300 if you're careful with your purchases. You could easily spend many times that if you go for high-end stuff. But you really don't need to go high end. Inexpensive equipment can yield great results.
Super 8mm filmmaking is an extraordinary outlet for creative expression. I hope your son likes it and sticks with it. Good luck.
-
December 16th, 2002, 05:26 AM
#3
Inactive Member
OK, here's another idea. Check out the Kinoflex package deal at http://www.pro8mm.com for $599, or just the Kinoflex camera for $350. The camera is a clockwork type Super 8. No batteries, manual zoom, auto or manual exposure. The Russian Quarz is said to be a copy of the Kinoflex.
I haven't personally used one of these clockwork type cameras before or know of anyone who has, but it looks interesting. I'd probably just go for the camera, and not the whole package deal, which includes telecine transfer. The camera appears rugged, simple, and straightforward to use. Maybe someone who has used one will chime in with some comments.
You'll still need a projector and film, of course.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks